A delicious take on a classic Cuban Sandwich.
- cutting board & sharp knife
- 2 medium mixing bowls with whisks
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- 1 package (8-12 ct) Hawaiian dinner rolls or mini dinner buns 8z
- 8oz deli ham thinly sliced
- 1 (15oz package) fully cooked pulled pork, shredded. NOTE: I used carnitas style. (found in grocery store pre-cooked & packaged food area)
- 8-12 slices swiss cheese
- 1 jar dill pickle chips, drained & blotted dry
Mustard Sauce (for bottom bun)
- 3 TBS Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 TBS melted butter
Butter Sauce for top bun
- 8 TBS butter, melted (DIVIDED)
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 TBS dry minced onion
- 1 tsp poppyseeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut through the Hawaiian rolls lengthwise. Place the bottom portion of the rolls in the prepared baking dish. Set top portion of rolls aside. (NOTE: some mini buns or rolls may already be split apart.)
- In a small bowl whisk using a fork mix together Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and 3 TBS melted butter. Using a pastry brush slather the sauce all over the bottom half of the buns.
- Fold each piece of ham into quarters and lay on top of each mustard covered bottom bun. Place shredded cooked pork on top of ham. Take each cheese slice and break into quarters. Place the 4 quarters of cheese on top of the shredded pork. Place 1-2 slices of pickles on top of cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk together 5 TBS melted butter, 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic, 1 TBS dry minced onion, and 1 tsp poppyseeds. Using a pastry brush, slather on the bottom side of the top portion of buns, then place on top of the pickles.
- Add 3 additional TBS of melted butter to the small bowl and mix with what's left of the sauce. Spread all over the top portion of the buns.
- Cover loosely with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes until cheese is melted and tops are golden brown.
- Let sit for 5 minutes out of oven. Enjoy.