Apple Pie Twists
A delicious Fall or Holiday treat using crescent roll dough sheets and apple pie filling. As a bonus I make a very simple and yummy caramel sauce made in 5 minutes.
- Food Processor
- large sheet pans
- parchment paper or silicone mat
- Medium sauce pan
- small bowl
- 2 (8oz tubes) refrigerated crescent roll dough sheets
- 1 (21oz can) apple pie filling
- 2 TBS butter, melted
- 1 TBS white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Spread out 1 tube of crescent roll dough on a large prepared sheet pan.
- Place canned pie filling into food processor and blend until pureed. Spread pie filling onto crescent dough sheet.
- Spread the 2nd tube of crescent roll dough on top of the apple pie filling covered bottom dough sheet evenly.
- Using a pizza cutter or large knife, cut dough in half. Cut each half in to halves and so on until you get 24 thin strips. (NOTE: apple filling will spill out some what, but that's ok.
- Twist each strip half way, then twist from other side to meet in middle. I move 1/3 of the strips to another prepared sheet pan to make room for the twists to rise while baking.
- In a small bowl mix together melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Brush mixture on the tops of the twists.
- Bake in 375 degree preheated oven for 8-11 minutes or until golden brown and twists are cooked through. Allow to cool
- Combine caramel sauce ingredients (butter, brown sugar, and milk) in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir until butter melts and mixture comes to a boil. Stir an additional 1-2 minutes until sugars have melted and mixture has thickened.