Crockpot French Onion Dip Sandwich
A roast so tender and delicious cooked low and slow in the crockpot, It makes the most delicious au jus perfect for dipping your french onion dip sandwich in.
- large skillet
Ingredients for Browning Roast
- 2-4 lb chuck roast (I used a chuck tender roast)
- 1 TBS cooking oil
- 1 TBS butter
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 3 onions sliced
Au Jus Gravy to Dip Sandwiches
- 3 cups beef broth (I used 3 cups of water mixed with 3 tsp Better Than Boullion "Roast Beef Flavor"
- 1 (10.5oz) can Campbell's French Onion Soup
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Hoagie Rolls
- Cheese Slices
Browning Roast & Onions
- Season Roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder on all sides. Heat up 1 TBS butter and 1 TBS cooking oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Place roast pieces or whole roast into hot pan and sear for 4 minutes on one side. Turn over roast and cook an additional 4 minutes. At this point add onion slices with extra butter and lightly brown. Flip roast onto sides and cook an additional 1 minute per side.
- (NOTE: THE FIRST STEP OF SEARING THE ROAST CAN BE OMITTED. THE SEARING LOCKS IN DELICIOUS FLAVOR AND GIVES IT A NICE SEAR.)
- Place half of the onions in crockpot. Lay roast and other half of onions into crockpot.
Making the Au Jus Dipping Sauce
- In a medium bowl mix together 3 cups beef broth, 1 can French Onion Soup, Worcestershire, black pepper and garlic powder. Pour over the roast and onions in crockpot.
- Place lid on crockpot. Cook on low for 7-8 hours if your roast was cut into chunks. Cook on low for 8-10 hours if you are using a full one piece roast. You can cook your roast on high for 4-6 hours. Roast should be very tender and shred easily with a fork.
Making the French Onion Dip Sandwich
- I like to toast the hoagie buns opened in the oven at 400 degrees until lightly browned. Takes just a few minutes, keep an eye on them.
- Spread mayo on buns. Add cheese and shredded roast. Pour Au Jus sauce from crockpot into small bowls or ramekins for dipping sandwich into. Garnish with parsley, if desired.