One Pot Sausage, Pasta and Broccoli
A delicious ad creamy all in one pot meal.
- large Dutch Oven or large pot
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 TBS cooking oil
- 1 TBS butter
- 16 oz Italian ground sausage, uncooked
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 oz uncooked penne pasta (or other favorite pasta)
- 2-3 cups broccoli cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 TBS corn starch mixed with 1 TBS water
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven brown onion with 1 TBS butter and 1 TBS cooking oil. Add in ground Italian sausage and cook until sausage is no longer pink. Add in 2 tsp minced garlic, stir, and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Stir in 4 cups of chicken broth. (I use "Better Than Boullion" roasted chicken flavor. 4 tsp mixed with 4 cups hot water.) Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in 12 oz uncooked pasta. Place lid on, lower heat to a medium low and simmer for 12-15 minutes until pasta is al dente.. Lift lid and stir every few minutes to prevent pasta from sticking to the bottom. Check liquid level also to see if additional liquid is needed.)
- Stir in chopped pasta. Season with salt, pepper, and additional Italian seasoning if needed. Cook an additional 2 minutes or so until desired tenderness of broccoli and pasta is met.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Continue to simmer until thickened. add corn starch slurry if you wish for dish to be thicker.