Perfect Side Dish for Any Occasion
- small skillet with spatula
- medium sauce pan with whisk
- cutting board & sharp knife
- 8 x 8 baking dish
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets, rinsed & cut into bite size pieces
- 5 TBS butter DIVIDED
- 3 TBS all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup original bread crumbs
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush 1 TBS butter onto the sides, bottom, and corners of an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a large pot of boiling water, steam broccoli for 5 minutes and drain. Place drained broccoli into prepared 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a small skillet heat 1 TBS butter. Stir in bread crumbs for a few minutes until toasty. Turn off heat and remove from burner.
- In medium sauce pan over medium heat melt 3 TBS butter. Add in flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Give a taste to adjust seasonings, if needed. Allow to simmer a few minutes until thickened.
- Sprinkle 4oz cheddar cheese evenly over broccoli. Pour white sauce over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining 4oz cheddar cheese. Top with toasted bread crumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.