Crockpot Pepper Steak
A delicious easy dinner idea using cube steak, a delicious sauce and an array of colorful bell peppers.
- 6 quart crockpot
- large skillet for searing steak
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs cube steak, cut into 1/2 inch strips cutting against the grain of the steak
- 2 TBS cooking oil
- salt & pepper to season steak
- 4 whole bell peppers cut into strips (use different colors if you like; green, yellow, orange, red)
- 2 medium onions (white, yellow or red) cut into strips
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 2 TBS corn starch
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
Searing Steak Strips
- Sprinkle salt & pepper on both sides of steak strips.
- Over medium high heat in a large skillet heat oil to a sizzle. Place in steak strips and sear on one side for 2-3 minutes and turn over to sear on the other side for 2 -3 minutes. Place browned cube steak strips into bottom of 6 quart crockpot.NOTE: You may need to sear steak strips in 2 batches.
- Place bell pepper and onion strips into crockpot with steak strips.
- In a small bowl whisk together beef broth, soy sauce, minced garlic, minced ginger, black pepper and brown sugar. Pour into crockpot over vegetables and steak. Mix all ingredients together.
- Place lid on and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 6 hours until vegetables are tender and steak strips are cooked through and fork tender.
- Whisk together corn starch and water. Add to crockpot and stir cornstarch slurry into pepper steak. Place lid on for 10 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Serve over cooked rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. Enjoy.