French Onion Ground Beef & Rice Skillet Meal
- cutting board & sharp knife
- large deep skillet with lid
- wooden spoon
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 TBS cooking oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (10oz) can French Onion soup
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup long grain white uncooked rice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup Swiss, Mozzarella, or Gruyere Cheese
- Add 2 TBS cooking oil to a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add in sliced onions and cook for 5-7 minutes until softened, caramelized and browned. Season with salt & pepper during cooking time. Remove onions to a plate and set aside.
- Add ground beef to same skillet. Break it up and cook until browned. Drain off excess grease. Add in garlic and cook another 1 minute. Stir in beef broth, can french onion soup, garlic powder, frozen peas, black pepper, salt, and cooked onions. Stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in uncooked rice, bring heat to a low setting, place lid on skillet and cook for 20 minutes until rice is tender. Stir in cheese until melted.
5 thoughts on “French Onion Ground Beef & Rice One Skillet Meal”
Love your cooking on utube ,and your family makes it too. But Catherine is the 🌟
Could you use a packet of the French onion soup mixture instead of the can? I bought many of them with one grocery haul, knowing they are a great backup for cooking on a budget.
This meal looks delicious and worthwhile for down the road.
Just hydrate it and you should be fine.
Made this wonderful recipe, I only had slices of provolone cheese and medium grain rice but came out delicious!!! Thanks Catherine 😊