Homemade Buttery Pie Crust
- 1 cutting board & knife
- 1 large mixing bowl & wire whisk
- pastry blender
- measuring cup & measuring spoons
- plastic wrap
- Rolling Pin
- 9 inch pie plate
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
- extra flour for rolling dough
- On a small cutting board cut cold butter into 8 pats. Cut each pat into 4 pieces, keeping them separated on your cutting board. Refrigerate butter to keep cold while preparing next step.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, salt, and sugar using a wire whisk.
- Place cold butter pieces all on top of flour. Using your fingers or a pastry blender cut butter into flour until it resembles coarse crumbs all covered with flour. Should have a pale color to it.
- Add in water 1 TBS at a time, stirring with a fork, until dough forms. Form into a ball of dough and flatten into a disk shape.NOTE: place ice cubes in cold water to keep it chilled during this step.
- Wrap dough disk tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour to over night.
Roll Out Dough for Pie Plate
- Take dough out of refrigerator and let sit for a few minutes. Lightly flour work surface and unwrap dough and place in center of floured work surface. Lightly flour top of dough.
- Place rolling pin in center of dough and roll out to outer edge. Turn dough 1/4 of the way and place rolling pin in center and roll out again. Keep doing this until your dough is a circle 13 inches in diameter.
- Place rolling pin at edge of pie dough and roll dough over rolling pin and roll to other end. Brush off excess flour along the way if needed, using a pastry brush.
- Place rolled dough on top of your pie plate over lapping edge and roll dough off of the rolling pin going across the pie plate. NOTE: your pie crust should be laying across the pie plate.
- Pick up your dough along the edges and push down inside the pie plate to form your crust. Cut off any excess dough along the outer rim of pie plate.
- Crimp, fold, or flute your dough edges along the pie plate rim.
- Prepare pie using your favorite pie fillings.